Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Floating corner shelves

Wanted a little spot for my daughter to place some of her hair accessories and other misc things she wants to display.  I used a piece of leftover 1x12 I believe it was.  I cut them on an angle on the miter saw...  so they were triangles.  I cut pocket holes on the underneath side and also on the fronts to add a piece of trim... which I think I use a 1x2... measured and cut the edges to fit flush with the wall.  I measured from the floor and spaced all 4 of the shelves evenly.  My goal was to screw directly to the wall studs...  I think one side had a stud... plus the corner itself... the other side was just to drywall, but they are not very big and after doing 1 knew these babies were secure,  I primed and sanded before mounting... then after mounting....  I filled any gaps with caulk and then painted them in a whit semi gloss to match the rest of the room. 

This is a corner of the room that would otherwise have been unused.  The closet door opens to it and the big window is next to it.  So I felt confident the shelves would never be in the way of furniture if I rearranged the room


Distressed Farmhouse Bench


For the longest time I have wanted a new dining room set... even though I absolutely LOVED my table!  It was the first purchase we made as a married couple for our home in Colorado.  We bought 4 chairs and the table and had planned to buy the matching captains chairs and cina cabinet down the road.  Less than a year later we went to get the captains chairs and discovered they were no longer available...  the set had been discontinued!  I was super bummed!  We then moved cross country to Mississippi... over the years I have tried to find the set, or chairs that would match.  I really wanted more seating... to no avail.  I was going to purchase a new set to have a matching hutch and wanted to be able to seat 8... but at least 5 to seat my family :-)
Long story short I still LOVED my table and decided to keep it. And build the farmhouse bench I saw on Ana White's website!   The seats need to be reupholstered still... which is on my to do list.  I had leftover 2x4's laying around from our fireplace addition... so one afternoon my son and I tackled this!

I decided to notch my wood out as the plan calls for. This was a bit intimidating for me. I watched a YouTube video, called the hubby at work... "how do I use the skill saw and adjust the measurements?". Haha my hubby loves me. I waited for him to be home to show me... cause yes that thing does scare me after all. When I told him what I was doing he said I should use a jigsaw to cut out the area.... I told him, nope I want to use the skill saw and a chisel... the YouTube video made it look super easy! So he helped me figure how to set the depth to an 1 1/2. The first 2 I did were not as pretty and needed more chiseling, but then it went real quick. I had 8 to do... and by the end of it my little arms were sore, but I was popping out wood left and right! I was so proud! My 4 year old helped distress the wood with hammer and nails. And I used a black stain. 1 coat... then sanded areas for a distressed look. I finished with 2 coasts of poly and sanding in between.

I added felt to the bottom of the legs to protect my floor and it is easier to pull in and out :-)





There was an error in this gadget