Thursday, January 12, 2012

Homemade Breadcrumbs

Ever since I started baking homemade breads I found myself with a chunky end piece that didn't get eaten... then I would be baking another loaf an toss that few day old section in the trash.  Well as thrifty as I like to be.... that bothered me!  Sometimes I would toss into a freezer bag to feed the fish in the lake with... but especially in the winter months they would pile up.

I thought of doing croutons... but I wasn't sure how long they would keep and if I would use those up before going stale.  I still will be trying some homemade croutons in the near future but I decided to eliminate the need to purchase breadcrumbs and make my own using the day old sections.

I still will stash the end pieces in the freezer until I have enough to make a batch.  Then:
  1. I cut bread into cubes
  2. Set in oven on 200 degrees
  3. Bake about an hour or until the bread crumbles in your hand
  4. crumble all the bread, or crush using a rolling pin... or pulse in a food processor (you get the idea)
  5. Store in an airtight container at room temp just like you would store bought breadcrumbs :)
Simple as that! Now you can also add seasonings but I just keep mine plain, then depending on what I am making I will add appropriate seasonings at that time

Homemade Breadcrumbs
Simply cube your old bread
Bake on 200 degrees about an hour, then crumble

1 comment:

  1. Now this is a great use of that end piece of bread! I have always kept my leftover bread in the freezer until I needed it then made crumbs of it because I was afraid of mold - but you're right, I just keep the store bought crumbs on the shelf. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile :)