Friday, January 6, 2012

My DIY Wooden Drawer Organizer!


Yay! I did it...  So very pleased....  I did a little decluttering and moved all my canning stuff that really should not have been in this drawer in the first place.  I used the Kreg Jig to make pocket holes which I LOVE and highly recommend for joining wood.  You can also use countersunk screws instead.  So for my custom drawer redo I purchased 1 piece of 1x3" wood... I think it was around $2.50 at Lowes.  I measured my drawer... my cuts approx cuts were two 19" pieces, two 8" pieces, and one that was around 12"...I did get all of my needed cuts from that 1 piece of wood!  Crazy that I probably paid about the same for the 2 baskets that poorly fit in the drawer... and left a ton of space where everything would just get jumbled.  Now for the silverware drawer!!!

Here is my before shots again


Side View
What a mess!



For a while I just cut 1 piece of wood... I really wanted to figure out just how I wanted to divide the drawer up





 



I ended up with approx 2- 8" cuts, 2- 19" cuts and 1 about 12".  Here is my 1x3 wood cut and I joined them using the Kreg Jig


Ready to play in the drawer!


Here it is all organized!  Yay! I did not screw it to the drawer itself... but it fits securely in place...  I am very pleased with it!

 


My Little Helper :)












Serenity youBWS tips button
The DIY Show OffThe Southern Institute

PhotobucketBecolorful
Chatty Chics














15 comments:

  1. That turned out fantastic. I love how you customized it to your drawer and you can't beat the cost. Thanks for linking to the Home Decor and Organizing Link Party. I'm featuring this today on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a huge drawer! No wonder you needed it divided. :) Love how it turned out, I really want to make something like that for my junk drawer, but I think I'd want to use thinner wood since the drawer is smaller.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Way to take control of clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks LeighAnn! I do have my silverware drawer that is a standard size drawer... Right now it is full of little trays and such that I have fitted just so... But they don't match nor do they fully stay where they are supposed to... I bought another 1x3 today... which planed really measures more like 3/4" x 2.75"... to secure with the screws I don't think you could go smaller than 3/4" wood. I am gonna play around with it this week hopefully and with post an update with pix when done :) I too worried the wood may take up too much space... but if it's not moving around in my drawer and I can fit to exactly what I have the forks will stack up... knives stack, etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work with the wood! I can't get the hang of working with wood! One day I'll take the time to learn - I'd love to be able to make stuff with wood!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jill, Have faith! It is a lot like sewing but with power tools involved lol. Measure twice, cut once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such an amazing idea! Wow, why didn't I ever think of that? I am pinning this great organizational idea. I am a new follower visiting from Hope Studios. Vicky from Mess For Less

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your organizer - very nice! Thanks so much for joining Make Yourself Monday! My name is also Jamie. :o)

    Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My utensil drawer needs some serious organization! Thanks for sharing how you organized yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. I'm impressed. I have not heard about this tool but I will have to check it out. I am all about organizing this time of year so this is such a timely post. Thanks for sharing it on Motivated Monday at BeColorful
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, it is a little jig you use along with a drill. I only bought the mini version, it was about $20 at my local Lowes. They also make a $50, $100, and $150 version.... I may add on but figured the mini would give me a good feel for it... I Love it! Such professional results for joining

      Delete
  11. Love.it! This is awesome! Great job! Am definitely going to feature this!
    Melody
    ChattyChics.com
    PS Be sure to come back Wednesday. :)

    ReplyDelete

Make me smile :)